Term 2 - REDOX
Assessment: Exam in Week 9
Week 7 - Friday
Prac at right.
Try to get up to doing calculations so we can start revision next week.
Week 7 - Thursday
Week 7 - Wednesday
Prac 105 - you are doing part B. I am doing demo for part A.
1. Prac sheet - Try to fill out the RHS
2. Practice writing a paragraph & diagram about the lunar application, how it works and why it's a good (or bad) idea. VERY SIMILAR on exam.
3. Answer this question: What's the difference between a D cell (zinc battery) and a fuel cell?
Week 6 - Friday
Finishing off CSIRO student workbook. (Nathaniel - I put a copy at right)
1. Booklet Answers & Trial Data (one document at right)
2. Read Text P130-131 about fuel cells
3. Read experiment 105 in pink book.
4. Look at this site: Home-made fuel cell.
Week 6 - Tuesday
Went thru excursion booklet. You should now have it almost complete. We will finalise anything from that Friday.
YOU WILL HAVE QUESTIONS ON YOUR EXAM WHERE YOU WILL HAVE TO DO SIMILAR CALCULATIONS!
Week 5 - Friday
Excursion & we still have a lesson in the afternoon! You need a calculator and writing implements.
Week 5 - Thursday
Faraday's Law Links for HW are not working so follow these instructions:
1. Copy examples f. and g. from Ausetute that we went thru today.
2. Scroll down that page. At the bottom is a link called "Faraday's law drill". Click on that. You should be prompted to login to Ausetute if you haven't done so already.
3. That drill is too hard for us yet so look in column at right on that page. There is a list called "links to tests" From that list you can do
(b) Q = n(e) F
(c) electrolysis test 1
(d) electrolysis of aqueous solutions test
4. There is a link called " links to exams". From that list you can do
(a) electrolytic cells exam 1
5. There is link for games. You can do:
(a) tic tac toe
(b) board game
After doing all that you might be able to do some of the 'Faraday's law drill'.. Note that it will display the answer after you've attempted it 3 times. I haven't explained the relationship to E0 yet so see if you can figure it out.
Week 5 - Wednesday
NATHANIEL I need your permission note!
Today we are electroplating. Expt 110 & 111.
These are the basis for our excursion on Friday & Tuesday.
Week 4 - Friday
Prac 104 - Dry cell. Pull it apart, know its parts.
HW: Find out the OTHER reaction (apart from Zinc casing) in a dry cell.
Try these sites:
Week 4 - Tuesday
Exercise using 2nd hand data - Expt 103. My prac writeup in column. This question is like one on your exam.
Bring your excursion notes back by Wednesday.
Week 3 - Friday
We made an electrochemical cell. Remind me to join them and make a battery to see if we can get that light bulb to light up.
HW: Finish the sheet called "Cell Voltages" - both sides.
Week 3 - Thursday (Biol Excursion Day)
So after we finished eating chocolate, playing games and having fun (as if?), we did some more electrochemical cell questions and some more balancing equations. The sheets are at right.
Week 3 - Wednesday
Your HW is to draw & label an electrochemical cell showing anode, cathode,
+ and - electrodes, direction of electron flow. Calculate the E0 value for each cell and write the overall equation:
1. bromine and iron (II)
2. nickel & silver
3. lead and tin
Week 2 - Friday
Today we did the rather tedious experiment 7.4 to try to make our own "Activity Series". The full version of this Activity Series will be used later and is an important reference in this unit.
1. Answer the 4 questions on next page in your exercise book. Do your answers agree with the list in the textbook?
2. On the Virtual lab sheet (spare sheet in documents column) - answer ALL the questions down right side. Especially try to merge the 3 lists into 1 big list for question 2.
Week 2 - Tuesday
1. More practice at balancing equations using half equations
HW: 14 d
2. begin activity series virtual lab.
HW: turn up to class with tables recording results from activities 1, 2 & 3
Week 1 - Friday
See Emma - I didn't forget this time....
HW: Page 348 Q 14. a b c & d
e.g. 14(a) start with two skeleton equations (I can't format correctly on this site)
Cu 2+ --> Cu
Fe --> Fe 3+
Answers scanned in pdf in column at right.
Week 1 - Thursday
Documents & links
Periodic table link
~~*The Cool List*~~